Latest posts by Shreshtha Verma (see all)
- A Hottest Guy With A 89 Years Old Girl- Bestfriend - September 19, 2017
- Tourism in India - September 18, 2017
- The Secret Of Toned Body! - September 18, 2017
Chenani-Nashri Tunnel is the Asia’s longest bi-directional road tunnel. It is also known as Patnitop tunnel. It is an all weather tunnel and it was inaugurated by PM Modi on April 2 and operating 24×7. It is hailed as engineering miracle, it marks significant road building firsts in India, including an unprecedented stress on user safety. It’s construction cost is estimated at Rs. 2500 crore in about 5 years. Built an altitude of 1,200 metres, the 10.89 km long tunnel cuts the travel distance between Jammu and Srinagar by about 40 kilometres and is expected to save passengers over 2 hours travel time as it bypasses snow and landslide prone areas such as Kud, Padnitop and Batote on National Highway-44. Not only that but also passengers can consider using it as this tunnel is estimated to save Rs.27 lakh of fuel per day. In addition to that it would provide better connectivity to residents of towns such as Kishtwar, Doda and Bhaderwah in Jammu region.
The work on the twin-tube tunnel started on May 23rd, 2011, in the lower Himalayan mountain range. The project ultimately formed part of the proposed widening NH-44(old NH-1A) from Jammu to Srinagar. We talked briefly about the tunnel but we didn’t look at the features that the tunnel provides. Let us see what are those:-
- Integrated Traffic Control System
- Entrance Detection Control System
- Active Firefighting System
- Electronic Surveillance System
- Evacuate Broadcast System
- Tunnel Ventilation System
So having said that today we will mainly look at it’s benefits and services that the passengers can avail. Based on the above context “7 Amazing facts about the new life line of J&K – Chenani Nashri tunnel” shall be the epicentre of discussion. The tunnel is built with the help of modern Austrian technologies. Here are several unique features of Chenani-Nashri tunnel that you must know.
- Asia’s Longest Tunnel:- Chenani-Nashri tunnel is now Asia’s longest tunnel with the length of about 10.8 km. It might be the longest but it saves time of passengers availing this route.
- Shortens distance between J&K:- A tunnel should definitely shorten distance between two places and over here Chenani-Nashri serves this purpose. It drastically cuts down the distance between J&K. Basically the distance between Jammu and Srinagar is reduced by 30.11 km(18.7 mi) and cuts travel time by 2 hours.
- Fire Safety Measures:- This feature is very much handy and would save human lives. It is completely fixed with the technology where the chances of fire is far lesser. This tunnel is fitted with exhaust fans with a such technology that would cause the air to rise upwards in case of fire.
- Safety is the major concern:- This is obvious as the tunnel is located in such a state where there are numerous records of terrorist activities. So right from the very beginning Indian authorities were very much concerned about safety. For safety the tunnel is equipped with 124 cameras present inside of it to keep security check. In addition to that Integrated Tunnel Control Room is also located outside to act in case of emergency.
- It’s Ventilation:- Builders claim that Chenani-Nashri tunnel is the India’s first and Asia’s sixth tunnel having transverse (cross) ventilation system. It means that the tunnel has got separate tubes to let the fresh air in and exhaust fans are fitted that acts as outlets. As the tunnel is very much longer in length so suffocation could be an issue. This system prevents the tunnel from suffocation and provides the citizen with a great and safe passage.
- First-Aid Service:- This is the unique feature of the tunnel because not every tunnel in this world is equipped with first-aid service. Well Chenani-Nashri tunnel provides you with first-aid service. SOS boxes are installed every 150 metres, to provide the passengers with first-aid service.
- Fine Mobile Network Connectivity:- Communication nowadays became an important part of life. Inside tunnels mobiles lose networks, but you don’t need to worry about connectivity. Mobile service providers like Airtel, BSNL and Idea have established their facility to carry networks. So you can easily connect with the people outside of the tunnel.
- Saving of fuel:- The Union Minister of State in PMO Jitendra Singh has said that the tunnel will save fuel worth nearly Rs.99 crores a year i.e, fuel worth at Rs.27 lakh is likely to be saved per day.
So having learned about all the benefits and services that the tunnel provides what more can you expect? This is more than enough. After all it ensures safety of passengers. Thus it is a great gift from PM Modi to the people of India.